Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Poughskeepsie Tapes and V/H/S.

I didn't intend on this being 'VHS' day, but that's how things worked out. I actually planned on watching The Last Broadcast as well, but time wasn't one my side. The Poughskeepsie Tapes was quite unsettling during the footage scenes, but the documentary actors brought that level down every time they were on screen. I did enjoy it, the interview with Cheryl Dempsey during the final act really caught me off guard. Not even sure what it was, but I can't get that whole scene out of my head. That never happens, I assumed I was desensitized by this point.
V/H/S is a film I've waited to see for some time. There's a very effective trailer floating around, and it had my attention for sure. Having finished it only minutes ago, the feeling I had hoped for just isn't here. I didn't expect scary, actually when I read how scary the film was, that made my expectations drop a bit. These days, 'scary' tends to mean jump scares and quick cuts. Those did exist, but not to the extent that is common in horror these days. I found the segments enjoyable, the main plot was interesting at best. I won't say much about V/H/S, as I plan to review it in the near future. It's a film that deserves to be watched more than once, and it has earned a few hundred words to explain my opinion.
All in all, a very enjoyable pair of films, both as similar as they are different. I am positive I will enjoy The Last Broadcast, everything I've read seems to strengthen that. I will do more of these small updates on films I don't want to fully review, it brings more content and allows me to watch more. Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I never heard of these films, now I have. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'm glad I can give you some good recommendations. Thanks for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed The Poughkeepsie Tapes and I must agree the documentary actors kind of took you away from the authenticity of the film.

    Looking forward to V/H/S but I don't think it's out in the UK till October!

    The Last Broadcast is pretty cool. Shame The Blair Witch Project stole it's thunder when it was originally released.

    Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like found footage if it's done right. Wish I had an edition of TPT with a making-of...that would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete